On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote:
> > 1. FR: nation_ajective_plural_for_player() function.
>
> That's very unlikely.  We'd end up with n**2 translations.

See below.

> > 2. "of the %s" will force us to enter cases problem...
>
> > "to the %s" cause to enter cases problem...
> >
> What is a "cases problem"?

Some more quoting has an answer^Wexample:
> > (cmp. "Польские" and "Польским".)

Every ajective has 4 (3 genders + 1 plural) * 6 (cases) = 24 forms in russian.
(Several of them may have intersection.)
F.e.
"Polish %s" - "Польский (male)/Польская (female)/Польское (neutral [or
middle])/Польские (plural) %s"
"to the Polish %s" - "Польскому/Польской/Польскому/Польским %s"
"from the Polish %s" - "От Польского/Польской/Польского/Польских %s"
etc.

Every noun has 6 forms. (+ 6 for plural.)

See also http://lists.complete.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/2003/09/msg00015.html.gz
and follow-ups

> > ru_RU specific:
> > Gender problem can be avoided by usage nation_plural at the first place.
>
> After all the recent work to add adjectives, you want to eliminate them?

Just take into account that you can't get right translation with adjs
for several language using gettext...

> > Other way is to _always and everywhere_ use only one gender.
>
> English has no genders, so technically we *are* using only one gender.  Any
> genders are specific to your translation.

Yes, it was about .po file.

--
Thanks, evyscr