> The problem I see is that this makes it rather unpredictable
> how many units will be build. Even if you have 2 or 3 build
> slots that does not mean you will build 2 or 3 units of each
> type. That depends on the surplus of shield.

This was planned as a possibility to use the production of big cities.
Without this, these cities would accumulate shields with no possibility to
use them. I restricted the possibility to units without population cost so
that you can expect that will happen.

Would a checkbox, which is only active if such a unit is build be OK? Using
the checkbox you could choose if 1,2,3...x units should be (tried to) build
next turn. This would also be the visual indicator for this feature.