On trunk, the experimental ruleset also needed fixing.

What about S2_1? We don't have the CityTile effect there (it originally came
from RT#40207 <http://bugs.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=40207>, and a
different fix was used on S2_1). Will there ever be another 2.1.x release,
and if so, is this an appropriate thing to fix in it, given how long it's
been the way it is? If so I guess CityTile needs backporting.

>> EFT_DEFEND_BONUS is already pretty tightly tied to implementing
>> city walls or similar city defences
>
> Doesn't existence of this bug prove otherwise :-)

:) I mean that it's all tied up with things called IGWALL and BADWALLATTACKER
(apropos of which, there's some documentation changes in kriss' original patch
that I want to rescue). I suppose there's nothing stopping you implementing
something non-wall-like with those flags despite their names.