To make my hypothesis of comment #6 more explicit: I'm hopeful that this
could be cleared up by forcing through one last city update to the losing
player after a city has changed hands; a quick read through of the code at the
time suggested to me that this update wouldn't always happen. But I haven't
found time to pursue this further, so someone else should feel free to take it
from here.

I suspect (without much proof) that this could be at the root of various
other reports. As well as bugs already mentioned (including bug #17860), it
occurs to me that bug #17439 involves iffy data structures on the client after
a civil war (which causes the loss of lots of cities), so I wonder if that
could be related too.

-- jtn