> The map generation random seed would be the same on the second
> attempt as on first if main gameseed would have been succesfully
> restored after first attempt.
time(NULL) is munged into map.server.seed when it's zero in
map_fractal_generate(), which I think explains this?

(Which I think means any autogame where the first map generation failed will
not be reproducible. It feels to me that the right thing to do in that case is
to continue subsequent map generations with the mapseed random state, i.e.
move the random state management out of map_fractal_generate() entirely.)