> if the mapseed triggered a retry.

Note that there's retry only if random mapseed is requested in the first
place. No point in retrying with same set seed.
If user explicitly set mapseed, (s)he probably did it for a reason and
providing map with another seed seems like a wrong thing to do.

> Is there any reason why mapseed shouldn't follow purely from
> gameseed without the time() factor?

I too think that for a given gameseed you should get same mapseed (or same
mapseedS if first one triggers retry). At the same time I don't know math
related to random number generator well enough to say how to make "good"
mapseed with gameseed fc_rand(), so I'm not rushing with a patch.