Could you explain in which situations the server would refuse a request of
activity change to sentry? I think this could help me better understand the
issue I am experiencing (which may not be an issue but just normal behaviour).

Regarding the bug reproduction, my explanations were perhaps not detailed
enough or misleading in some way; let me know if certain steps seem ambiguous
or inconsistent. The server seems to return an answer: once being put in
sentry client side, each unit in the group appears as being in sentry mode,
except for the one which ends up being focused on (I suppose that it also was
in sentry, but got immediately woken up because of focus). Somehow, even
though the order is accepted, the units are still iterated over in the current
focus group.

Btw, I am using stock version 2.3.4 compiled from source on debian squeeze.
The packaged version is not installed anymore, but did expose the same issue.