A similar rule easier to implement would be:
"do not allow to attack a tile where the unit can not move due to ZoC effect"
This way the limitation caused by ZoC would be the same for movement and
attack.

I personally prefer a customizable penalty to attack, but this one would also
allow interesting tactics to protect your units, that I find very realistic,
specially if ZoC is enabled for Naval units too.

I'll see if I can create a patch for this one by myself, but I'd prefer to
find some developer who find this rule interesting.