> So essentially what you are saying is that as soon as a unit
> comes against multiple units, it will be at a disadvantage
> against all of them

Yes, sounds to me like in practice this would give constant defense bonus for
defense lines (where units on different tiles provide ZOC-protection to each
other). AI does not build such lines, so maybe it wouldn't be big problem for
someone playing against AI only (but would hurt any attempts of AI to attack
human player defense lines). Line of fortresses (+50%, protection against
stack-death) on hills-range (+50%) with fortified (+50%) units is already very
hard to break even with superior units.