I did a test-migration from svn to github here:
https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-test

This was done using svn2git:
https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git
https://help.github.com/articles/importing-from-subversion

Feel free to test it out. The actual migration process was quite quick and easy to perform. I have not yet migrated all the users, branches and tags, but I just wanted to test out github for Freeciv to see what people thought about it first.

Regards,
Andreas