A couple of comments on the substance (get_target_bonus_effects()):
* I think it would be useful to be able to have each step make less than 1.0
difference to a particular effect. A simple way to do this would be to scale
by 100; so if I want a multiplier-based effect where every step of 1 has an
effect of 1, I specify value=100.
* In the !target_player case, I think effects with multipliers should have
zero effect, not peffect->value.

(I have lots of half-baked ideas about where to take this feature after the
basic patch is ready, which I'll create a new ticket for rather than polluting
this one.)