..
>Otherwise, I agree with Arkady. No need to have 50 files called COPYING with equal
>contents ;-)
..

We don't (well not really).
Within the distribution there is a package called GPLv2,
which contains nothing but the GPL license which is installed
to the base dirctory (e.g. C:\DOS\COPYING ).

Every GPL'd package still has a file COPYING or LICENSE.TXT
or whatever it was called, but it is a stub file that tells
the user to refer to the common COPYING or replace with
full text if distributed seperate from the distribution.
(Only the GPL v2 license programs have this change, the few
 that are under a different license still include their
 full license text.)  And it did make a noticable difference
in overall size, IIRC about 6KB less per zip (about 17KB
less per package unzipped).

Jeremy