Luchezar Georgiev escribio':

LG> I'd divide *only* SRC into project subdirectories. BIN, INF, HLP, MAN and
LG> NLS better be common for *all* projects, as they usually contain only a
LG> single file per project (with some exceptions).

_Not_ agreed - many distributives contains similar files (readme,
what.new, etc.), so MAN should be also "splited".

It's better if the directory tree is as simple as possible, but not simpler. "WHAT's NEW" files can be renamed to <PROJECT>.NEW, and README files can be renamed to <PROJECT>.1ST, for example. Otherwise it just becomes a jungle of subdirectories and very tedious to browse, in my opinion.

At times the documentation is more than just NEW and README, files like how to contribute, history, etc. and even some specific. And it will get tedious for sure if you make up extensions for every such file ;-)
Anyway I don't like that a text file is renamed to .1ST, just because then I can't open it, e.g., with the Windows GUI (or other GUIs) by double-clicking ;-)

Aitor