Hi,

Arkady V.Belousov escribio':

ASM> (as a side note, this is unix-ish notation that I never liked much,
ASM> because in my understanding this folder is to be used in Unix/Linux for
ASM> executables in machine-binary language, whereas there might be BINary
ASM> DATA files, that are binary but not executable, but that are not normally
ASM> put there, or am I wrong?).

Data usually not separated as "binary" or "not binary" (ie. textual),

Most people doesn't know that this difference even exists, and get puzzled when they open binary data files with TYPE.
This is my point, data is not separated (where perhaps it should). COUNTRY.SYS and KEYBOARD.SYS are (mostly, I seem to recall that Microsoft's KEYBOARD.SYS may contain even some embedded code) data, I'm sure that someone has tried out there to do
DEVICE=COUNTRY.SYS
in CONFIG.SYS :)

whereas BIN is not worsest name. :) How else? EXE?

I can't think of a good name, except maybe PRG or something that has to do with PROGRAMS. Not universal but correct (unlike Microsoft Word DOC files, universal but formaly incorrect and confusing).

Aitor