On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Eric Auer wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> BTW, what's the goal of EDLIN ??? Never used it ...
>
> It is there for nostalgic reasons and aims to be the DOS
> text editor which is translated into most languages ;-)
>
> But actually even the author of MS EDLIN barely used it,
> so we can be happy to also have our EDIT text editor.

EDLIN was dropped from MS-DOS base after 5.0, though IBM kept it a little
longer, only dropping it from 7.

It was intended to be replaced quickly but never was, probably because it
was very light and could run on anything.

>> But please keep DEBUG, I'm using it
>
> I agree. It is good to have a generic classic debugger
> even when more fancy things like 386SWAT exist. DEBUG
> is still great for smaller tasks, people are used to
> the syntax and our DEBUG is actually quite extended :)

To the point the DR DOS people actually took their SID debugger and hacked
it into a version of DEBUG! (They had, originally, quite different
syntaxes.)

-uso.