Op 30-7-2011 15:08, dos386 schreef:
> OK, obsolete WDE is on the CD in FREEDOS\3RDPARTY ...

I remember adding that (just like EXTRACT for bootdisk contents under
Windows), just can't think of any purpose/use that I added it for,
anymore. Will be removed then.

If anyone knows a rather universal bootdisk utility I'm interested.
* has to be a separate program
* has to be able to load uncompressed floppy image of any 2.88MB or
smaller yet size (like my 360KB image)
* has to work under DOS, Win3.1, Win9x, 32bit and 64bit Windows flavors.

A few different versions is also fine. WinImage and/or Extract go a long
way already.

> The CD has a "strange" and obsolete kernel:
> - NOT UPX'ed
> - 2040 from May-25

yes Jeremy's initial 'MEMDISK arguments' supporting 386+ kernel. I still
have to verify a worthy replacement exists. Kernel 2040 was released,
386 version was released a bit later. 8086+ version doesn't support this
MEMDISK stuff so far, and I didn't bother yet to check if the official
386+ kernel has this stuff compiled in.

I wonder if FreeDOS kernel (both 8086 and 80386+ versions) can be UPX'd
using LZMA stuff instead of NRV/LZO.

> The floppy DOES have kernel 2040 ... but I really would kick anything
> except 2040 and maybe 2038 and maybe 2036 (as from 1.0 distro).
> No need for 2039 or even 2034.

I'm keeping things around for testing purposes, as different kernels
have different abilities (and bugs..). It's a nice techdemo as well.

> The floppy does something (wow) ... but what's the point of
> FREELDR.SYS (almost 400 KiB) and the other "Linux" file
> (having "S" and "H" as failed attempt to reduce risk of discovery) ?

The Linux file is SYSLINUX, a bootloader for FAT. Just like Isolinux is
for use in iso9660 images. I don't care if it uses SHR by default
(syslinux.com installer) just like old MSDOS did.

FreeLDR I want around for booting ReactOS, which is my entire point of
adding Syslinux in the first place instead of a pure DOS bootdisk.
Already found a way to reduce size back to 130KB or so. 7Zip's
ultra-force GZIP settings make this 126KB, but not tested if that works.

> The floppy offers me to boot "IO.SYS" even if there is none :-D

Can't be helped, bootloaders never check for kernel existance before
offering things. The idea is to add IO.SYS yourself so MSDOS can be used
to verify certain behaviour of programs and drivers.
DEVICE=JEMM.EXE FASTBOOT followed by DIR A: for example.

> And of course even the floppy should have EDIT (buggy, 64 KiB limit)
> and INFOPAD (almost mature,>= 80386) and UNTGZKIR, maybe
> even 7ZDECWATT.

I'll add what I can. Intended goals for next bootdisk release:

Bootdisk features:
* Uses Syslinux bootloader for expanded capabilities
* Added pre-386 compatibility through FreeDOS bootsector,
   combined with CPU-check and 8086 FreeDOS kernel/shell
   Pre-386 means FD kernel, 386+ loads Syslinux
* ReactOS's bootloader FreeLoader added through MBOOT.C32,
* Added ability to regression-test FreeDOS against multiple
   kernels
* UIDE driver provides IDE/SATA CD-ROM access for FD1.1 install
* CD-mounting capabilities present (CDROM.BAT C:\FDBOOTCD.ISO)
* Internet-based installation of FD1.1 possible through
   packet driver, DHCP program and HTGET/FTP (not WGET, size
   constraints). VMware-specific so far (PCNTPKT.COM driver)
* Sticking to normal bootdisk layout instead of specific 16KB
   clustersizes for FreeLDR as used on previous disks.

Missing:
* Syslinux-loadable netbooting code would be nice, from
   Rom-o-Matic / GPXE , or IPXE projects. DHCP only,
   no PXE/TFTP-stuff as most consumer routers don't provide
   that anyway unfortunately.
* GRUB. No plans on adding this
* Small bootdisk image to demonstrate ramdisk uses
* Small ISO image to demonstrate ramdisk uses
* A Memtest program
* Flashrom program (version 0.94)
* Smart Boot Manager for CD-booting (lacking a .c32 version)