Op 29-7-2011 19:02, Rugxulo schreef:
>> - KERNELS<  2040
>> - WDE<  0.30
>> - UPX
>
> UPX is too useful, IMHO, though I know some shun it (which seems
> weird). And I don't think WDE is included in there (yet). At least a
> quick search couldn't find it in "BASE" or "UTIL".

I can't even recall what WDE was for anymore.
I'll check if any old kernels still present and will remove them, though
the SYS and batchfiles in there are usefull.

UPX is sometimes shunned due to the NRV compression library used, which
is proprietary, and thus sometimes considered incompatible with
opensource software. There's an opensource UCL library, and the
resulting UPX binaries are available. I'll use those as soon as someone
can guarantee me they run on 386+ instead of 80586+ / 80686+.

UPX is convenient to have around indeed, if space limited. The
bugreports showed that the extra FDISK utility included in FreeDOS
doesn't like UPX due to a file checksum (integrity test) being done
before running.

>> - KERNEL 2040
>> - WDE 0.30
>> - some useful archivers (UNTGZKIR, 7-ZIP)
>> - some useful and small compilers (FASM ? NASM8086 ?)

I'm pretty sure 2040 has been added, though I might have forgotten that
on the 360KB bootdisk image.

> Some archivers are already in "UTIL". But yeah, perhaps at least UNZIP
> should be in "BASE". Dunno, Jim doesn't want any disruptive changes in
> 1.1, maybe FD 2.0.

Depends how you define 1.1. A small base set has limitations. Having a
full CD as Jeremy and Blair prepared in the past, should offer enough
opportunity to add programs to people's desire.