Hi,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

>> BTW, what's the goal of EDLIN ??? Never used it ...
>
> It is there for nostalgic reasons and aims to be the DOS
> text editor which is translated into most languages ;-)

Presumably it's for limited automated scripting (e.g. "edlin <
changes.txt") a la *nix ed. Also, on *nix, ed is used as recovery
editor, usually statically linked, when everything else is borked.
Though sometimes you can find vi too. Well, ed is the "standard" *nix
editor. The difference is that edlin doesn't support regex. sed is the
*nix "stream editor" (loosely based upon ed) and does line-by-line
editing (and not in-place), hence it can edit files bigger than memory
(and supports better scripting, though arcane).

> But actually even the author of MS EDLIN barely used it,
> so we can be happy to also have our EDIT text editor.

Tim Paterson? Yeah, it was just a quick hack for him, but apparently
some (MS-DOS) were slower to upgrade to full-screen than others
(DR-DOS).

(...and just to combine e-mails...)

(Steve Nickolas):
> EDLIN was dropped from MS-DOS base after 5.0, though IBM kept it a little
> longer, only dropping it from 7.

It's still included in 32-bit Windows (and debug and edit95 too).   ;-)

Yeah, with MS-DOS 5.0, EDIT/QBASIC was standard, so they didn't "need"
it anymore.

> It was intended to be replaced quickly but never was, probably because it
> was very light and could run on anything.

Writing a good text editor isn't easy, and there have been probably
thousands (see http://www.texteditors.org for a list). Besides, nobody
can agree what to use: VIM, GNU Emacs, etc. etc.