Hi,

> Honestly, I'd prefer a 3-tier split, actually. The Base CD should be
> somewhere around 300MB max.

Is it really a good idea for a medium, which supports ~700 MB of data, to
restrict that to 300 MB? Considering one has to „burn“ the media, I favour
burning one disk instead of two or three. For most of the users, the download
size should not matter nowdays.

So my favourite solution is: put everything that fits on the first „Base“ disk,
and include for every program category a selection of programs: a C compiler
like Watcom (perhaps stripped-down?), a BASIC interpreter etc., so that people
can play around with it if they want to. They do not have to select the
packages for installation if they do not want them. But wasting hundreds of MB
of the install media does not make sense to me.

Greetings, Bernd