-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bernd
Blaauw
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 11:56 AM
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Can't install FreeDos on extended partition?

Alex Horvath schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new Windows Vista laptop. I would like to install FreeDos on
> a second partition and dual boot.
>
> I created a small extended partition and formatted it as FAT using
> Partition Magic.
> I then boot to the FreeDos CD and start the install process.
> However, the FreeDos installer does not give me any choice to which
> partition it will install to and I think it wants to reformat the
> existing primary partition.
Most DOS flavours will only be bootable on primary FAT12/16/32
partitions. It's not recommended to install on Logical partitions inside
an extended partition.
I'm not quite sure FreeDOS installation procedure demands (and is able
to verify) a primary FAT partition.

As you got Partition Magic, I'd recommend to delete the logical and
extended partition, and instead create a Primary partition using FAT
filesystem.
To my knowledge Vista only installs on NTFS, and FreeDOS cannot see any
NTFS partitions (doesn't recognize them), so there's no chance you'll
ruin your Vista partition unless you actually delete partitions using PM
or Fdisk for example.

For dualbooting, i think you can add FreeDOS to the Windows menu.
Possibly you'd have to save the FreeDOS bootsector to a file then first.
(see SYS /?)
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> If I have to I can blow away windows but we'd like to be sure we can
> make FreeDos + our app work first on a second partition.
Never considered an emulator?

Bernd