That was it Bernd, partition was not set active.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bernd
Blaauw
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 12:49 PM
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Can't install FreeDos on extended partition?

Alex Horvath schreef:
> Sorry for all the newbie posts -
>
> FreeDos did install but when I boot all I get is a "_" character and
> no response to keyboard input.
>
> If I boot from the FreeDos CD I can the FreeDos files on C:.
>
> Anything I can check?

Let's see, a very basic installation has the following:
* Harddisk
  -Master Boot Record (MBR, contains partition table and keeps up which
partition should be booted)
  - FAT formatted primary partition, it needs to be set Active in your
partitioning tool
     - Bootsector (operating system dependent)
     - operating system's kernel (FreeDOS:     C:\KERNEL.SYS)
     - some kind of user interface (FreeDOS:  C:\COMMAND.COM)

Easiest is to check if these files exist with DIR C:\ Also transfer
system files and the bootsector with SYS C: (or SYS A: C:) In case MBR
needs to be rewritten, do a FDISK /MBR