I recommend using a boot manager. There are several free ones out there:
* GRUB <http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/>
* XOSL <http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm>
* GAG <http://gag.sourceforge.net/>

I haven't used them with FreeDOS (I use GRUB to boot my Linux box, but
not dual-boot) but I know others have. I used to use V Communications'
System Commander
<http://www.v-com.com/product/System_Commander_Home.html> which was
quite nice.

But as Bernd suggests: have you considered using a PC emulator to boot
FreeDOS? I find this makes it very easy for new users to install
FreeDOS, especially if you do not need a dedicated PC (for example,
for running embedded systems.) If you just want to boot FreeDOS to
play games or to run old business software, it may be better to run
VMWare or VirtualPC to create a virtual computer on which you can
install FreeDOS.  I use both DOSEmu and VMWare on my system for
experimenting with different things under FreeDOS.

-jh