On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Alex Horvath wrote:

AH >Hi,
AH >
AH >I have a new Windows Vista laptop. I would like to install FreeDos on a
AH >second partition and dual boot.
AH >
AH >I created a small extended partition and formatted it as FAT using
AH >Partition Magic.
AH >I then boot to the FreeDos CD and start the install process.
AH >However, the FreeDos installer does not give me any choice to which
AH >partition it will install to and I think it wants to reformat the
AH >existing primary partition.
AH >
AH >What am I doing wrong?

I do not mean to sound as if I am talking down or anything but:

Normally you can have as many as 4 primary partitions on a harddrive.
You only have to make logical partitions within an extended partition if
you need more than 4 primary partitions.

Here is a page with basic information on partitions.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structPartitions-c.html

Before you blow away your vista install make sure you actually have a
set of vista disks that came with your machine. These days some new
machines do not actually have a full set of operating disks.

Another partition editor which is free is Ranish Partiion editor

www.ranish.com

AH >
AH >If I have to I can blow away windows but we'd like to be sure we can
AH >make FreeDos + our app work first on a second partition.
AH >
AH >Thanks
AH >
AH >
AH >

                       Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd ---- Hydes MD USA 21082-----EMAIL:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog

Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com