chris evans wrote:
> Better to label your drive volumes to something other than obscure or
> drive letters, like DATA, or your name. that way when you in a fdisk
> program or other OS you can see what is what and not cause an
> accident.  Curious, I thought that the DOS will only point C: to the
> first primary found?

All labels are unique and contain the drive letter.  Do you consider
DOS, W2K and Warp4 to be obscure?  Also every partition has a directory
of the form "1_Name_X" where X is the drive letter.  The one forces it
to sort at the top.  So from any HDD utility or directory listing I know
the physical position of each partition.

I have an additional challenge.  All my HDDs are front panel plug-in.
So I have to give each HDD a unique ID that is seen by HDD utilities.
If I was cloning or cleaning a drive and got it reversed that would not
be good.  I have had a HDD utility swap drives 1 and 2 on it's display.
  That is rare, but it did happen.

Ray