>All labels are unique and contain the drive letter.  Do you consider
>DOS, W2K and Warp4 to be obscure?  Also every partition has a directory
>of the form "1_Name_X" where X is the drive letter.  The one forces it
>to sort at the top.  So from any HDD utility or directory listing I know
>the physical position of each partition.

The users self identity on a computer should not be intricately related to the
OS that is in use. WARP4, W2K, DOS?  what does that say about the *content*
stored  by that  user?

>I have an additional challenge.  All my HDDs are front panel plug-in.
>So I have to give each HDD a unique ID that is seen by HDD utilities.
>If I was cloning or cleaning a drive and got it reversed that would not
>be good.  I have had a HDD utility swap drives 1 and 2 on it's display.

Harddrive serial make and model or variant of such is what I use, that way I
can see that yes it is from that seagate and not the western digital.. (I do
this on my two tower machines with the shuttle drive bays)

--chris
http://www.aotksc.com/