> Hi James,
>
>> [freedos 1.0] crashes after I press return on the menu.
>
> Now for the 1.0 ISO I am absolutely sure that it does have a
> menu with several choices - more than just pressing return.
I think the first menu shows 3-4 options and press return is continue
booting from CD.
There are options to boot fro either of my 2 hard disks (2 options).
I don't remember an option to boot without ems but I will dig. :-)

> So you can select another menu item, for example "boot without
> emm386 driver for ems / umb". There are several menu items
> and there are even several menus. Please tell exactly in which
> menu which choice fails in which way. If a menu goes ways too
> quickly, you can usually hit a cursor key or similar so DOS
> knows you are busy making a selection and stops the timeout
> which would normally select a default after a while. You can
> even use the pause key on the upper right of your keyboard
> (and continue by hitting another key).
>
>> www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/sys-freedos-linux.zip
>> How do I run 'sys' under Linux?
>
> That is a bit complicated to use, but basically you do something
> like "perl ./sys-freedos.pl --lba --disk=/dev/fd0" for diskette.
>
> For harddisk, you would select ONLY the fat filesystem in question,
> NOT the whole harddisk... Otherwise you would overwrite your whole
> partitioning scheme. So "sys in Linux" is basically as dangerous
> as "fdisk in DOS" - one wrong choice and you have messed up your
> PC. Of course expert users can often fix it again without losing
> a single file, but this can be very complicated.
>

> So... Please do figure out how to gain more control over
> Balder or the CDROM distro before you try to SYS from Linux.
> This will also help us to find out what is wrong with the
> diskette and cdrom distro and whether it is sufficient to
> do a clever selection of menu items to work around.
>
> Thanks! Eric
>
> PS: Please give more information about the kind of hardware
> you are using. What sort of PC, harddisk, cdrom/dvd, BIOS,
> which CPU, how much RAM, any sound, scsi, raid, sata, net...?

I have an ASRock Alive NF5 eSata2+ motherboard
first release BIOS which is the whole point to update via freedos.
An AMD Athlon X2 4000+
4GB of RAM
2 SATA hard disks
DVD RW