Second try:
I don't know why my post has arrived to the list as hundreds of no
sense letters.

>did you make the partition a fat partition or is it a linux
>partition? gparted will allow you to set the parition type?

ItÅ› a FAT32 partition.

>If i understand correctly, "root (hd0,5)" is because it is in an
>extended partition. No DOS can boot from extended partitions.

Yes, is a logical/extended partition, but I've read that it's possible
to boot from there using Grub, maybe that's no true?

>I recomend that you use GPARTED and move it to a primary partition.

It's no so easy, I have 3 primary partitions and one logical with two
extended, so it would by hard to fix it...

>since you have a linux set up have you tried running Freedos in a windo
>under dosemu/xdosemu? i can run my freedos either with dosemu or as a
>standalone boot but the standalone boot needs a dos partition. the dosemu
>version is running from a subdirectory under home in my linux
>partition although I can access data files in my dos parition.

I also use dosemu, but I would like to try FreeDOS installed in my
computer, just for play a bit with it...

I've just found this, from Grub's manual:

Command: makeactive
Set the active partition on the root disk to GRUB's root device. This
command is limited to primary PC partitions on a hard disk.

So it has no sense to use that option.

Know the question is, it's is really impossible to boot from a
extended partition?

Thanks