Ciao,

Jack wrote:
Udo Kuhnt wrote me yesterday, 4-Dec-2007, about
Grech's FD-User post, where Grech thanks his fiend -- NOT friend but
FIEND -- for the XDMA driver.    Udo noted he DID NOT regard this as
any sort of "typographical error", and neither did I.

For non-native English speaking people (like me):

fiend

 (fnd)
n.
1.
  a. An evil spirit; a demon.
  b. The Devil; Satan.
  c. A diabolically evil or wicked person.
2. Informal One who is addicted to something: a dope fiend.
3. Informal One who is completely absorbed in or obsessed with a given job or pastime: a crossword-puzzle fiend.
4. Informal One who is particularly adept at something: a fiend with computers.

[Middle English, from Old English fond; see p(i)- in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Ciao