Yes, but those are temporary files, needed only during installation.  When you
get further along in the procedure, it lets you specify where to do the final
installation.

> >> stick in this case which is bad, so 2 possibilities I can think of:
> >> 1) configure freedos to boot in the usb stick as something else as
> >> c:, so that c: is free for the main drive; Is it possible? If yes,
> >> how?
> >
> > You might be able to use the "subst" command to do this,
> but I'm not sure.
> >

> Isn't that just to create a drive letter for a path?

I'm not sure, but I think you can also use it to redirect drive letters.

> >> 3) make d: [main drive] bootable and boot directly to the
> main drive
> >> and from there install windows. How can I do this?
> >
> > IMO, this would be your best bet:  install freedos to drive
> d:, then remove the usb key and reboot; it should pick up the
> hd as c:, boot freedos from it, and then you can go on to
> install windows.
> >

> That was what I just tried. It was an interesting experience.
> freedos installed the files to d: correctly and installed the
> bootloader onto the usb drive in c:. So, now, I have freedos
> files in d:, but it doesn't boot. And the freedos cd boot
> loader was replace by the freedos boot loader so everything
> is totally crazy. Can I maybe edit some files or run some
> commands in order to make sure freedos installs the boot
> loader in the correct drive?

Yes, but I'm not expert enough with freedos to tell you how; I would have to
experiment a lot to figure it out.