Hi Michael!

>> thanks for suggesting an automated compile-and-test-SVN farm
>> of test computers, I guess part of the problem is that you
>> typically compile DOS in DOS and DOS does not run cronjobs.
>> Conceivably a smart Linux DOSEMU solution is possible but in
>> that case the test will not be on raw hardware. Other ideas?

> - Then a cronjob (TSR) is one of the first things you need.

You will also need a SVN client for DOS :-). Blair?

Another thing will be a list of things to test. I am
sure you want more than "fdapm warmboot and see if it
still boots", right? There are so many things you can
do with a DOS kernel, where would you start testing?

> The coreboot automated testsystem needs also special
> and expensive hardware for automatic flashing and such.

I am sure that would be possible with self-made hardware.

>> www.coreboot.org/Distributed_and_Automated_Testsystem

> But what to do if you have no more then one person or just a few people?

Then you cannot call the software stable. You can still
announce it, of course, as long as people know that it
is untested and the code is not reviewed by anybody else
than the one who wrote it...

> Look at the changes in cvs, release dates, mailing list
> and download statistics.

I wonder what the download starts for Rugxulo and other
more up to date distros are ;-).

> Linux is confusing, big parts of the community are elitist

Maybe, but reading the DOS networking howto by Uli does
not at all give me the impression that DOS networking
would be easy. Sure, running EASY apps in DOS IS easy!

> DOS has other sympathetic strikes, DOS just got boring over
> time and could not comply with the new requirements.

Which requirements? Probably a matter of taste, but still
an interesting topic to discuss :-).

>> can for example offer more / more open drivers now.

> Which more open drivers?

In particular the licenses of dosusb, uide and xgcdrom
make life easier than having to download proprietary
USB and SATA drivers... And there is a port of clamav
which makes downloading f-prot unnecessary. It seems
that not much commercial software remains in use :-)

Eric