Christian Masloch schrieb:
>> Which kind of compatibility does FreeDOS aim for? I mean compatible with
>> which MS-DOS version? 6.22, 7.10, 8.00?
>
> As far as I can tell, 8.00 is the same as 7.10 plus some restrictions (I
> used to have a PC with Windows Me).

Yes, well 8.00 can load Win ME.
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.MS-DOS

> 6.22 doesn't include LBA, FAT32 and
> LFN-aware command line, so FreeDOS mostly aims to be compatible to 7.10.

The site where I originally found the following statement is gone, but
there is a
mirror.
http://arcadecontrols.com/Mirrors/mirror/www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsDosProfessional.html

"It is strongly recommended that you use MS-DOS version 7.0 (the version
of MS-DOS that ships with Windows 95/98), since it is the only version
that will allow you to use long filenames with your NTFS drives. Using
earlier versions of MS-DOS restrict you to using file names in 8.3 format."

and

"Many people believe that MS-DOS doesn’t support long file names at all,
but that isn’t the case. It is the MS-DOS FAT file system driver that
lacks support, rather than MS-DOS itself. When used with a file system
that supports long file names MS-DOS handles them fine, as do MS-DOS
applications that are written to take advantage of the support."

Author was Mark Russinovich / Bryce Cogswell so I believe the statement
was correct.

What about FreeDOS kernel and LFN? Wouldn't it make sense also to add
LFN to the FreeDOS kernel?

Also according to
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.Compatibility
it also seams doslfn is not the answer and needs bugchecking by a third
developer.

For sure, if LFN goes into the FreeDOS kernel it would make much sense
to add also LFN support to the FAT driver. Is this already the case?

-mr