Michael Robinson schreef:
> I haven't gotten the positive response I had hoped for trying
> to drum up some interest in a Windows 9x replacement.  Some
> have talked about possibly enhacing HX extender and cloning
> Windows 3.x first, which makes a lot of sense.

Some have only talked that it might be possible if HX was enhanced, not
actually enhancing it.
> One thing you lose if you have to use Windows XP is the
> ability to run smoothly on older computer hardware.  I
> am talking 500mhz and below.  Also, some programs just
> won't work in an NT based environment.  Some will say,
> just get NT versions of whatever you want.  Great, but
> that rules out a lot of computers and there is no free
> NT option right now.  There is WINE, but that only
> gets you so far.

Windows 2000 worked fine on lower-end systems like a P2-350. I'm sure
Windows NT has even lower requirements.
ReactOS should still be at P100/32MB I think, a typical Win9x machine
(anything below, Win9x was even crap for)
> and you really want to.  Thing is, maybe your games or
> whatever you use won't work so well under emulation.

And you're suggesting what exactly as replacement for DirectX? The one
thing which makes most games possible on Win9x
> I run freedos natively.  I have given up on trying to
> run it under vmware.  Sometimes, I use dosbox under
> Linux.  Nothing allows me to run command and conquer
> red alert I under Linux.

Wasn't there a Command & Conquer - The First Decade box released a
couple of years ago? I assume the games were patched up to run under
WinXP (either native or compatibility mode).
> Command and Conquer Red Alert Windows 95 edition by Westwood Associates

see above.
> Internet Exporer 5 and earlier, maybe 6.

Obsolete. Mozilla Firefox 2.xx runs on 9x branch still. Other browsers
possibly as well.
> Microsoft Office for Windows 9x.

Obsolete? I'm unable to determine this as Office can be very specificly
used but for normal usage OpenOffice, Abiword etc also will do. Go with
Wordpefect 5.1 for all I know ;)
> Blake Stone Aliens of Gold requires the MS-DOS 6.22 or the Windows 9x
> version.  It can run on top of Windows 9x.
>
> Wolfenstein 3D has the same problem because it's probably based on the
> same underlying engine.  It starts under Freedos, but none of the keys
> work.

FreeDOS can set compatibility version to any DOS number. Not sure if
that would help you.
Curious that keys don't work.
> Warcraft II Battle Net edition requires Windows 95 or higher.  Under NT,
> it becomes clear that it isn't designed for it when you have to become
> Administrator to get it to run.
>
> Diablo II requires Windows 9x or higher, but it's not designed for NT
> either also having the Administrator issue.

So? Run as admin then under NT, 2000, XP etc or ReactOS. Diablo II works
there with the Glide wrapper to my knowledge.
> ...Insert other programs that need Windows 9x or Windows 3.x to work...

There's many, but those using them generally have a license for the
operating system as well.

Bernd