On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 10:29 +0200, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
> Michael Robinson schreef:
> > I haven't gotten the positive response I had hoped for trying
> > to drum up some interest in a Windows 9x replacement.  Some
> > have talked about possibly enhacing HX extender and cloning
> > Windows 3.x first, which makes a lot of sense.
> >
> Some have only talked that it might be possible if HX was enhanced, not
> actually enhancing it.

Well, is it possible to enhance it?  There is no support for Windows
below Vista anymore.  Why are people content to use unsupported
versions of Windows meaning no Y2k patches and no service packs?
I have Windows NT 4.0 Alpha that I wanted to update, do you think
I can?  I had hoped to burn a DVD on it, but I can't find a software
program that will install to do that with.

> Windows 2000 worked fine on lower-end systems like a P2-350. I'm sure
> Windows NT has even lower requirements.
> ReactOS should still be at P100/32MB I think, a typical Win9x machine
> (anything below, Win9x was even crap for)

Concerning ReactOS, please, it is only a hobby project for a few
developers who have no idea when it will come out of Alpha status.
Saying it only needs 32 mb and 100 mhz is ridiculous as it is being
developed still.

Concerning Windows 2000, that is an NT based system.  Why would
I go to an NT based system if I'm interested in games that work
on DOS based Windows and not NT?

> > I run freedos natively.  I have given up on trying to
> > run it under vmware.  Sometimes, I use dosbox under
> > Linux.  Nothing allows me to run command and conquer
> > red alert I under Linux.
> >
> Wasn't there a Command & Conquer - The First Decade box released a
> couple of years ago? I assume the games were patched up to run under
> WinXP (either native or compatibility mode).

I've tried all the remakes of the gaming engine for Linux, they were
abandoned and don't work.  I can't run XP, the box I'm running C&C
on is a Pentium III 450 which is too slow for it.  I don't want to
install XP on a faster computer, the license is too expensive for
one program and I'd still have to fight to get C&C working anyways.

> > Command and Conquer Red Alert Windows 95 edition by Westwood Associates
> >
> see above.
> > Internet Exporer 5 and earlier, maybe 6.
> >
> Obsolete. Mozilla Firefox 2.xx runs on 9x branch still. Other browsers
> possibly as well.
> > Microsoft Office for Windows 9x.
> >
> Obsolete? I'm unable to determine this as Office can be very specificly
> used but for normal usage OpenOffice, Abiword etc also will do. Go with
> Wordpefect 5.1 for all I know ;)
> > Blake Stone Aliens of Gold requires the MS-DOS 6.22 or the Windows 9x
> > version.  It can run on top of Windows 9x.
> >
> > Wolfenstein 3D has the same problem because it's probably based on the
> > same underlying engine.  It starts under Freedos, but none of the keys
> > work.
> >
> FreeDOS can set compatibility version to any DOS number. Not sure if
> that would help you.
> Curious that keys don't work.
> > Warcraft II Battle Net edition requires Windows 95 or higher.  Under NT,
> > it becomes clear that it isn't designed for it when you have to become
> > Administrator to get it to run.
> >
> > Diablo II requires Windows 9x or higher, but it's not designed for NT
> > either also having the Administrator issue.
> >
> So? Run as admin then under NT, 2000, XP etc or ReactOS. Diablo II works
> there with the Glide wrapper to my knowledge.
Again with ReactOS, please, only the demo of Diablo II works there and
probably because it was hacked into the OS.

> > ...Insert other programs that need Windows 9x or Windows 3.x to work...
> >
> There's many, but those using them generally have a license for the
> operating system as well.

You miss the point completely.  Many have a license for MS-DOS, but
they use Freedos instead because why?  Because they don't have a
license for MS-DOS.  Also, Freedos is able to handle larger
partitions than MS-DOS ever could and it is on route to work with
modern hardware.

Even a project to create a free set of replacement updates for say
Windows 3.x or Windows 9x would be appropriate.  Microsoft is denying
access to the updates it put out for every version of Windows that
came before Windows Vista
( although XP updates may still be available ).

The list idea is still a good idea even if people want to argue with
me that Blake Stone and W3D work in Freedos.  It will create a picture
of what dos based Windows software people want and maybe just maybe
something can be cloned or ported to say opengem.  I for one would
love to have a freedos compatible gui that runs Firefox.  I don't
care if it is Windows compatible quite frankly.  I like Firefox better
than Arachne for a number of reasons.  First off, firefox has a filter
plugin where Arachne does not.  Second off, firefox 2.x and above is
more compatible with the web than Arachne is.  I realize that Firefox
runs in Linux and that it runs in Windows, but if it would run in
Freedos on a machine that can't run modern Linux or modern Windows,
that might be useful to someone.