On Tue, 18-Aug-2009, Christian Masloch <c...@bttr-software.de> wrote:

>>> Separately from what?
>>
>> Separately from MS-DOS, FreeDOS, or other DOS variants, since few if-any
>> of their EMM drivers are still under maintenance, and as some have never
>> corrected BUGS!
>
> I support your intention (i.e. JEMM being the best available PM memory
> manager) but the answer doesn't fit what Eric said:
>
>> At the moment, JEMMEX already is too fancy for many ancient DOS games
>> which use pre-VCPI DOS extenders, so it is good that HIMEMX and JEMM386
>> are still separately available.

I will have to let others reply to JEMMEX being too-fancy or not for games
use, as I have no DOS "games" and cannot comment on this.    However, QEMM
and maybe other drivers offer "integrated" XMS and PM support, without any
gripes I ever read about them being too-fancy, so the idea of JEMMEX seems
good to me!   "Integration" sometimes does simplify things -- I integrated
the old QCACHE, QDMA, and QDVD into what has now become UIDE, and thus far
everyone seems happy with having to load only one driver, not three!

> Also, isn't JEMM actually FreeDOS's memory manager of choice?  I suppose
> there was such a thing as "FreeDOS EMM" (that from which JEMM was
> created)
> but is it still maintained?

I am an MS-DOS user, and maybe I should not comment here.   But as far as
I know, FD-EMM386 is no-longer maintained.   Also, if you look at the BIG
list of changes made by Japheth, in going from FD-EMM386 to JEMM386, then
you may not want FD-EMM386, until it gets MANY of those changes!   As for
a "memory manager of choice", I have seen no posted comments on this, and
users must make their own decision re: which EMM driver to use.

Jack R. Ellis