On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM, P. Hightower <sgriobhad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Assuming nothing on the machine then install Linux and use grub as
>> your boot loader. Leave an extra partition for FreeDOS later. Once
>> Linux is up and running install FreeDOS on the extra partition and
>> modify the grub config file to give you the additional boot option.
>>
> I've had good luck with doing the reverse. Setting up a partition for
> FreeDOS and installing it first and then installing Linux. Both Fedora
> and Ubuntu, and I imagine most modern distros, will detect FreeDOS on
> the partition and set up the boot loader accordingly.

Yes, it will work, but I was thinking it might be more risky for a new
dual-booter.

In general I think the only order dependent OS I know of would be
Windows as it will tend to just write over the MBR without asking thus
corrupting some grub installations.

None the less you are correct. As far as I know FreeDOS and Linux in
general have no compatiliby problems when it comes to dual booting.