2011/4/11, Michael B. Brutman <mbbrut...@brutman.com>:

>  Do you like cheap storage or 512 byte sectors?

Depends. You know: the storage itself may be somewhat cheaper - but
because of its incompatibility, it can force me to replace part of my
hardware, or to spend a lot of time for additional work of
(re)configuration/installation (looking for special drivers, reading
its docs, trying it, sending bugreports...) and so on.

> I think we can live with the 4KB sectors - it's going to cause a performance
> hit,

Maybe, but there's simple solution within reach: making only that very
large HDD (over 3 TB) with 4 KB sectors - and the smaller ones still
with 512 byte sectors. The largest HDD I'm using has 320 GB, and that
area is divided among 3 different OS-es, so - in fact - one can say,
that I'm using HDDs not larger, than 100 GB, and it's large enought
for me. For FreeDOS I'm using 2 GB partitions on even smaller disks
(40 GB), just to _not_ waste space because of big clusters.

So although I realize, that the others may have different needs
(keeping movies on HDD, for example) - there are people, who aren't
looking for tera-/petabyte-sized storage. No idea, when will I (and
why..) need 2 TB HDD. So if the vendors could be kind enough to keep 2
TB (and smaller) HDDs with sectors of 512 b size, it can be seen as
kind of solution for many next years.

> but on modern hardware we have enough to burn.

Wasting anything just "because we can afford it" is generally a bad idea.
--
regards,
Zbigniew