Henrique Peron <hpe...@terra.com.br> wrote in
news:4dc2ebc0.30...@terra.com.br:

> I just read a PDF file "Epson ESC/P Reference Manual". It explains
> that 24-pin printers can "receive" definitions on 241 characters
> into its RAM but those 9-pin LX printers cannot. They can only
> receive 6 characters. It seems that uploading a codepage into a
> printer's RAM is out of the question. :-(
>
> Perhaps the idea (which is what I did once with a 9-pin Epson
> LX-800 that I had) is to manipulate the printer head directly.
> That would leave CPI files and hardcoded printer codepages out of
> the equation. That would force me to manually provide the data
> (through a TXT file) which would be sent to a printer through some
> program which would pose as a "printer driver". I would like to
> elaborate more on this but it seems this is the wrong freedos-list
> to do that. I have some ideas and perhaps we could work together
> on a "printer driver" for FreeDOS.

If you're willing to accept the very slow printing speed of your
printer's graphics mode then you may want to investigate GhostScript,
which already provides a wide variety of fonts, sizes and printer
drivers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript#.22Hello_world.22
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get510.htm