Hi,

2011/5/4 Henrique Peron <hpe...@terra.com.br>:
> Hallo Eric! Wie geht's, mein Freund? :)
>
> If I understood you correctly, by using FreeDOS GRAPHICS, I could send a
> codepage directly to the printer's RAM (naturally, one which wasn't
> already hardcoded into it). Am I right? It would be great. All the
> codepages which I *created* for FreeDOS could be sent to a printer that way.

No.That's not GRAPHICS' work, but PRINTER.SYS, a driver similar to
DISPLAY.SYS, but for which one would need to write a hardware-specific
handler, something like:

PRINTER PRN=(EPSON,,3)

It's just that someone woud have to write the ESC/c handler. In the
aforementioned pages, the programmer would have to find:
- code to select hardware predefined codepages (  ESC(t.... )
- code to load and select software loadable codepages  ( in  ESC(t 3 0
2 1 0  says "uder-defined characters", so there must be a way).

> 1) To find documentation on as many codepages/character tables as possible.
>
> 2) To prepare the proper keyboards to work with them.

This should be transparent. Keyboard is related to CON only
(regularly, changing CON's codepage should call KEYB, although it
usually doesn't).
CHCP xxx
should be in charge of calling ALL the drivers (CON, PRN, ...) to
change the codepage of them all.

> 3) In the case of languages for which there has never been support by
> the industry, I would create codepages for them.
>     This particular step I have already taken to assist, for instance,
> all official languages of Russia's 21 republics and all official
> languages written with the latin alphabet on Oceania and Africa and
> several indigenous languages considered co-official on the Americas.
>
> 5) Somehow "send" those codepages to the printers' RAM. (I'm aware that
> unfortunately not all printers might provide such a feature.)
>     (At least in my mind,) this particular step would require some
> software to somehow analyze the codepages encoded into the FreeDOS
> codepage libraries (CPX files) and send the necessary info to the
> printers' RAM. Such step would naturally not be necessary to deal with
> regular codepages, like 858 or 808, but with the codepages I created for
> FreeDOS, all in the cp300xx range. This step would not be taken by me;
> I've been (for a few years already) looking for someone who would
> volunteer on that. Ideas are always welcome.

There may be a trouble here: the CPI/CPX files that you are used to
are all DISPLAY-SYS style CPIs.
PRINTER-SYS style CPIs may be different, I think you create those
DISPLAY-SYS style CPIs with some program, but is that program able to
create PRINTER-SYS style CPIs?

I suspect that for some printers, PRINTER.SYS does not have just data,
but also printer-specific code, that is bulk loaded into the printer.
It is not given that you can create a software to load one of those
DISPLAY-SYS style CPI files that you produce to a printer.

Aitor