I am opening this conversation again about CD support in VirtualBox:

It is true that the delay of UIDE at boot can be solved by selecting
ICH9 and Enable IO APIC in VirtualBox (> System->Motherboard).

Unfortunately this breaks networking in VirtualBox 4.0.12 and 4.1.4.
The PCNTPK packet driver v. 1.20 for the PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
VirtualBox NIC tells us:

"PCNTPK-DOS-015:Device not found"

Which means [1] that the driver cannot find an Ethernet controller.
The driver 2.2 (which is included in FD 1.1beta) seems to install
(after some time) but also doesn't work. Choosing another virtual NIC
or disabling IO APIC doesn't solve it.

There is already a bugreport at the VirtualBox site [2]. It seems to
be the fault of the ICH9 virtual chipset.

So at the moment you cannot have both with FreeDOS 1.1 in VirtualBox:
CD/DVDs and network.

regards
Ulrich

[1] http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/eprmhtml/epr3a/8498.htm