Rugxulo,

I could have looked up Z machine - was just pressed for time this
morning. I try not to sound willfully ignorant. ;-0

(Which reminds me - I wanted to do a telnet server that used the Zork
"virtual machine as a proof of concept.  Now I know where to go start
when I find the time.  Zork on the internet via Telnet! Eliza would be
another good one.)

Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 is not freeware, but I don't think it is hard to
find.  I have sold a few copies that I personally rescued from the trash
in the past year or two for a nominal amount.  It runs well on a 386 or
486 and is easy to use.  Look for a copy on eBay, the Vintage Computer
Marketplace, etc.  It can be used without the manuals by somebody with a
little experience.

Open Watcom is open source and readily available but it is quite
overwhelming for a newbie.  It took me a while to get over my fear of
it, and I had plenty of experience with TC++, gcc, IBM's xlC, etc.  But
I'm happy I made the switch.

Jim Leonard is a Turbo Pascal bigot.  I think he's stuck in the mid 80s.
:-)  To be fair I think he uses it as a loader for his assembler code.

Any reasonable compiler and development setup is probably best run on a
386 or better machine, unless you are using something like Turbo Pascal
3.0.  TP 3.0 actually ran well on the oldest hardware, and fit too.
Most of the C compilers have just too big of a footprint.  As much as I
like my PCjr and 5150/5160s, I still do most of my development work on a
Windows XP machine and I test in DOSBox or a virtual machine.  I did
most of the mTCP development work on a 386-40, but my current setup is
far more productive.

(And all of this reminds me that I need to do a series of web pages or a
Wiki on getting started programming in DOS.  It is a dying art ...)

Mike