Re: 4K sector sizes, I realized today that UIDE, UIDE2,
and UIDEJR likely will NOT be affected at all --

1) DOS has a 64K-byte limit for read/write requests, in
    fact 127 sectors of 512 bytes (the "UIDE" drivers do
    accept 128).   Since 4K-byte sectors "fit" into this
    limit, no physical-level driver changes are needed.

2) All 3 "UIDE" drivers do ONLY physical block I-O  and
    "know nothing" about directories, file systems, etc.
    The drivers remain "DOS independent", i.e. they just
    read/write sectors "at the orders" of the DOS system
    and user programs.   MUCH simpler and a LOT smaller!

3) UIDE/UIDE2 require, and UIDEJR can set, a 64K buffer
    in XMS memory for "misaligned" or other I-O unsuited
    to UltraDMA.   Since DOS cannot do more than 64K I-O
    at a time, no change to the "UIDE" drivers' UltraDMA
    buffering is needed.

4) UIDE/UIDE2 set cache blocks of varying sizes, 8K for
    a 5-MB cache, up thru 64K for an 80-MB+ cache.   So,
    the drivers have enough cache blocks in all cases to
    be effective, in handling both directory sectors and
    data files.   4K disk sectors "fit" evenly, into any
    UIDE/UIDE2 cache-block size same as 512-byte sectors
    do.   So UIDE/UIDE2 will need NO changes for caching
    the larger disk sectors!

About all that MAY be needed in the 3 "UIDE" drivers is
some init logic to "select" using 4K-byte sectors, if a
hard-disk demands this (FOOLISH if so, in my opinion!).

Assuming "boot" or FDISK/FORMAT problems are dealt with
as required, my comment about 4K-byte sectors is "Bring
'em on"!   The 3 "UIDE" drivers will run fine with them
and so "regular" DOS I-O should not be any problem!

[In the U.S.A., we have an old engineering "joke" known
as the "K.I.S.S. Principle", whose letters denote "Keep
it SIMPLE, stupid!".   Less and less of a JOKE, as time
goes by and computers become unjustifiably COMPLEX!   I
and the "UIDE" drivers still OBEY the "KISS Principle",
insofar as is possible!].