Ulrich,

>> UIDE does not include logic to "ignore" a diskette drive.   If one
>> or two are present, UIDE will always cache them ...
>
> I think the /B switch works for me.

Yes, you are correct -- UIDE is such a complex program that even I
"forget" some of its features, from time to time!   /B causes UIDE
to ignore diskettes, same as UIDEJR would do.   With no caching, I
have no reason for UIDE to "talk to" diskettes!

> The downside is that booting takes much longer, as the VirtualBox
> default chipset PIIX3 still conflicts with UIDE.SYS.  The alternate
> chipset ICH9 works fine with UIDE.SYS but unfortunately conflicts
> with the ethernet controller.

No-surprise that booting takes much longer, since with /B, UIDE is
doing no caching at all!   /B enables only UIDE's "base" hard-disk
and CD/DVD logic for UltraDMA I-O, which is "Better than nothing!"
as we say, but absolutely NOT as fast as its caching routines!

Jack R. Ellis