Tom:

>> The "issue" is that VirtualBox is not posting diskette media-change
>> status in the BIOS data table.
>
> the 'issue' is that VirtualBox clearly states
>   'floppy without change-line support'
>
> int13/15 returns '01h floppy without change-line support
> int13/16 returns '06h change line active or not supported
>
> but UIDE ignores this, and relies on change line support anyway.

You are WRONG, Tom!!

UIDE has NEVER ignored if a diskette has change-line support!   It
does in fact check the BIOS data table at 0:448h for bit 0 (change
line for diskette A:) or bit 4 (change line for diskette B:).   If
those bits are off, diskette A: or diskette B: will not be cached.

My update to UIDE in adding the /E switch was simply to add a mask
which is 011h without /E, 000h with /E, to "mask" against the bits
at address 0:448h.   This works fine.   With /E, the mask prevents
UIDE from "seeing" any change-line bits, so diskettes go uncached.

But, if what you wrote above is correct, VirtualBox expects people
to use ONLY the "Int 13h" requests, when determining if a diskette
has change-line support.   And in any event, by indicating NO such
support, as you also wrote above, they make it impossible for UIDE
to cache diskettes anyway!   I will NOT cache a drive which cannot
tell me when its media has changed, and I REFUSE to add all of the
logic in UIDE that Eric notes the DOS kernel contains, to find out
if a media-change has occurred using other methods!

So, I shall amend my earlier post to say that VirtualBox now needs
TWO changes:  (A) It needs to provide media-change status for each
diskette, and (B) It needs to provide a PROPER BIOS DATA TABLE, as
the table bits that are "seen" when VirtualBox runs are INCORRECT!

> maybe the real issue is that noone finds the time to do a tiny bit of
> debugging the problem but finds a lot of time to write loooooong
> emails

To which I shall add:  Maybe you might have read the UIDE.ASM file
before making any BASELESS and WRONG accusations about my drivers!

Jack R. Ellis