Thanks for your reply, Ralf.

I have a FAT32 partition (D drive). At home, it might be simpler to just
install FreeDOS as the OS on that partition and set up a dual-boot system
(XP on C:, FreeDOS on D:). In fact I'm considering doing just that, and
frankly wouldn't mind recommendations on how to bring that about, either.

But it doesn't fix my problem of trying to find some way to distribute the
program on CD media to my friends. Ultimately I may rewrite it to use
DirectX with a native 32-bit compiler but I've also been saying that for
the last 5 years.

Bruce

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM, Ralf A. Quint <free...@gmx.net> wrote:

> At 07:28 PM 11/24/2012, bruce.bowman tds.net wrote:
> >This may be a FAQ.
> >
> >I have an old DOS program that I wrote and still want to run, but it
> >uses VESA 3.0 SVGA graphics, which are not [fully] supported by
> >later versions of Windoze.* To make matters worse, the program
> >writes to disk during operation, and no modern computer has FAT16
> >partitions anymore.
> >
> >So I'm looking to package the program on a CD with FreeDOS, DOS 7.1
> >or something that can provide DOS functionality and write to a FAT32
> >partition. And preferably, the program should autorun upon bootup.
>
> Well, your main problem here is that in case of an machine running
> Windows XP, you are likely using a hard drive formatted with NTFS and
> not FAT32, which means you would be at the mercy of a working NTFS
> file system driver as well, and that is at least in terms of write
> access a bit of a gamble IMPE...
>
> Ralf

 Sent from my meager, humble desktop computer.