Michael -- Thanks much for your reply. Perhaps my reply to Ralf answers
many of your questions.

The program itself is not particularly large and would probably run in
300-400k of RAM. But when running it sequentially loads a lot of PCX images
off disk. The program could be run from a ramdrive to overcome some of the
i/o issues.

I have an old Knoppix CD and have occasionally booted to that for
troubleshooting purposes (lost passwords, etc). Back in the 90s I had a
dual-boot Linux/W95 system.

All the FreeDOS boot ISOs that I've seen are just for OS installation and
do not appear to have LiveCD capability. If someone can point me to one
that does I'd definitely appreciate that...I have MagicISO on my computer
and that has proven somewhat helpful in this context.

I don't own a floppy drive anymore and generally speaking do not plan to
buy any new hardware.

Regards,
Bruce

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Michael Robinson <plu...@robinson-west.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 20:47 -0800, Ralf A. Quint wrote:
> > At 07:28 PM 11/24/2012, bruce.bowman tds.net wrote:
> > >This may be a FAQ.
> > >
> > >I have an old DOS program that I wrote and still want to run, but it
> > >uses VESA 3.0 SVGA graphics, which are not [fully] supported by
> > >later versions of Windoze.* To make matters worse, the program
> > >writes to disk during operation, and no modern computer has FAT16
> > >partitions anymore.
> > >
> > >So I'm looking to package the program on a CD with FreeDOS, DOS 7.1
> > >or something that can provide DOS functionality and write to a FAT32
> > >partition. And preferably, the program should autorun upon bootup.
> >
> > Well, your main problem here is that in case of an machine running
> > Windows XP, you are likely using a hard drive formatted with NTFS and
> > not FAT32, which means you would be at the mercy of a working NTFS
> > file system driver as well, and that is at least in terms of write
> > access a bit of a gamble IMPE...
> >
> > Ralf
>
> Can you perhaps create a freedos boot disk?  Should be an option if you
> have an install CD.  What is the size of this program that needs a fat16
> file system specifically?  I think you can have up to a 504 meg
> partition and still use FAT16.  Any chance you can shrink that NTFS
> partition by 500 megs and install Freedos to a second primary partition
> using ntfsresize or partition magic?  Another approach is to use Linux
> via a live CD to back up Windows XP to an external hard drive.  Set that
> back up aside, make the NTFS partition the first primary partition
> making freedos install on a second primary partition.  Any decent live
> Linux CD can resize NTFS partitions to open up 500 megs of space.  An
> easier approach is to add another hard drive and install freedos onto
> that.  How old is your computer?  Good luck.

 Sent from my meager, humble desktop computer.