Well, I've been working on this awhile and have learned a lot. And most of
what I've learned is what others have been trying to tell me.

All the bootable CDs that I've seen have contained a floppy disk image.
This is what actually boots. During the boot process the embedded
AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS reload the drive and assigns it a DOS drive
letter. Only after that's done does the full content of the CD become
accessible to the OS.

MagicISO seems to do well with editing the CD image but not the FD image.
To get this to autorun, I have to be able to edit AUTOEXEC.BAT and
CONFIG.SYS. So MagicISO is not the answer. I've done a full scan and
detected no sign of the trojan that someone warned me about. Nonetheless, I
have removed this software from my computer. I did a full backup and saved
my system state last weekend, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm now starting all over using the instructions found here:
http://www.k1ea.com/hints/Creating_a_Bootable_DOS_CD_V%201.5.pdf

I would like to do this using FreeDOS instead of DOS 7.1, though. The more
I play with FreeDOS the more I like its features. What actually happens if
I "install" FreeDOS on my Windows computer? I don't want to do that and end
up with a machine that won't boot XP.

Thanks,
Bruce

--
 Sent from my meager, humble desktop computer.