Hi,

N.B. I've had literally no personal experience with Eiffel. But ....

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM, john s wolter
<johnswol...@wolterworks.com> wrote:

> Let me also recomand the Eiffel Language created by Bertrand Meyer.
>
> A complete open source development system is available at Eiffel.org.

For DOS??   :-)        BTW, I think you mean http://www.eiffel.com here.

I think SmartEiffel used to (long time ago) provide a DJGPP build or
at least work with DJGPP (translate to C), but I never tried it. (Very
frustrating trying to get many things to work for DOS, esp. old stuff
that used to work fine!)

> Meyer's book discusses the motives that drove O-O languages design
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_(programming_language)

Wasn't this made into an ISO standard (2005)? Isn't it freely
available (unusually)? Hmmm, apparently yes.

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-367.htm

I'm not savvy nor energetic enough to delve deep into Eiffel right
now, sorry!   ;-)    But I will say that Ada (which I also don't grok)
shares a lot of features with it, esp. upcoming Ada2012 (design by
contract). Unfortunately, even GNAT has poor support for DOS since the
(very few) DJGPP dudes have to fix it themselves with little upstream
support.

Regarding Eiffel's support of OOP, it's inevitable, every language
seems to have it these days. While I'm far from knowledgeable in that
(overutilized) paradigm, I did learn a bit of it from Oberon and Turbo
Pascal (though Delphi has yet another way of doing it).

Oberon is must more minimalist in features, valuing simplicity in lieu
of adding too much. If anything, it's just a slimmed Modula-2 with
type extension (simple but optional OOP) replacing variant records.