Hi Bertho,

I've spent the last three hours writing a tiny COM program that moves
COMMAND.COM's environment block to the lowest address possible (using
DOS's "low memory first fit" strategy). Unfortunately, it does not seem to
be able to find the environment block if used in AUTOEXEC.BAT after HIMEMX
and JEMM386 were loaded in FDCONFIG.SYS (I only tested both at the same
time, so I don't know which one causes the problem), but it works if run
after AUTOEXEC.BAT has been processed (for some reason - but by then you
may have TSRs loaded between COMMAND.COM and its environment, which may or
may not be OK for your needs) or if those two drivers are not loaded.

So for example, without HIMEMX and JEMM386, FreeCOM will allocate its
environment block at e. g. segment 9F7F, but after running the program,
the environment block will reside at segment 23B4, almost immediately
after COMMAND.COM (it depends on the order in which you load TSRs).

Please contact me off-list if you want to try it out.

Matej Horvat
http://matejhorvat.si/