Hi,

thanks for pointing me to minitrue. Last year I learned to use "sed" in linux
and minitrue seems to be comparable. It's also great to see that this is free
software under GNU GPL. Maybe this should be included in the util repo of
FreeDOS? It seems to be very useful and it is also well documented. AND it has
a great name, for those who read "1984" :-)

BTW: The homepage is here:
http://www.pement.org/sed/minitrue.htm

while the download is hosted at:
http://www.idiotsdelight.net/minitrue/

While minitrue certainly does the job for most users, I am not sure if this is
the best way to get the settings from MTCP.CFG into WATTCP.CFG:

- when copying over MTCP.CFG to WATTCP.CFG, lines for telnet, ircjr etc. also
go into WATTCP.CFG. They are commented out, but it's kind of strange. But of
course it's only one more minitrue command necessary to delete them in
WATTCP.CFG, so this is not a big deal.

- WATTCP.CFG can be used for much more than for configuring the network. See:
http://lazybrowndog.net/freedos/wattcp.txt for an original version of
WATTCP.CFG. This means all other settings in the original WATTCP.CFG should
stay intact. This seems a bit harder to achieve with minitrue.

DHCP.COM by David Dunfield on the other hand can change the relevant WATTCP.CFG
settings and leave everything else untouched.

DHCP.COM can be downloaded from the homepage, Mike pointed at:

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/dos/index.htm

(You have to scroll down to the network section.)

DHCP.COM is a replacement for DHCP.EXE from the mTCP collection. As the mTCP
apps are useful and in the path, either you have to call DHCP.COM with the full
name or delete or rename DHCP.EXE.

DHCP.COM did not work for me, if it isn't in the same directory as WATTCP.CFG.

While with mTCP, it uses the environment variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SET MTCPCFG=C:\FDOS\MTCP.CFG

But the environment setting for WATTCP.CFG in AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET WATTCP.CFG=C:\FDOS
is ignored by DHCP.COM.

Using the full path like
DHCP.COM /W=C:\FDOS\WATTCP.CFG
didn't work either.

So the right place for DHCP.COM is C:\FDOS\DHCP.COM.

It is also necessary to call DHCP.COM twice:
DHCP.COM /M=MTCP.CFG /W=WATTCP.CFG
doesn't work.

So I put these two lines in AUTEXEC.BAT

C:\FDOS\DHCP.COM /M=MTCP.CFG
C:\FDOS\DHCP.COM /W=WATTCP.CFG

and everything works fine. The appropriate lines in WATTCP.CFG are replaced.
Everything else stays intact.
Other than with minitrue, backups are not made.

Unfortunately there is no license file included with DHCP.COM and the homepage
says nothing about it. This means it can't be distributed with FreeDOS or other
projects.

So far this review - thanks again for pointing me to these programs.

Ulrich