Hi again,

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:

> What I need for my Dell is a sound blaster pro driver that works on
> an ESS chip without windows being there. Windows turns the chip on
> somehow. The programs are for DOS running under windows. None of the
> drivers are for dos alone, even if they claim to be. Add windows to
> the background and they work but who wants that.

Yet another program to try would be something like Impulse Tracker. It
had various sound drivers back in the day. I need to test that myself
on my old Dell P4, just for curiosity's sake.

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/sound/it214v5.zip

Actually, here's some more programs to try, too. Go ahead and give
them a whirl, and tell us if any of these actually work for you.

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/sound/mp102.zip
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/sound/megam166.zip

P.S. Although the license is (AFAIK) unknown / undecided [eh??],
Impulse Tracker has actually been (loosely speaking) "opened" these
days. I'm not sure if anyone here is active enough to care, though.